Saturday, November 19, 2011

Should I get Paid for Vacation Time I Earned?

I have 3 weeks paid vacation saved. However, I am planning on resigning from this company and move to another state. Should I get paid for the vacation I earned when I quit this job? I been in this company for 5 years and it's starting to wear me down. I live in Georgia, USA.|||I'm not sure if it's state or federal law. I've always got accured vaction time paid. One thing you can do in any case is take tree weeks vacation when you are ready to leave. You'll already be moved and working your new job.|||you should collect it before you leave or otherwise leave after you use the vacation time paid... It is something you earned and accumulated through out the time you worked since your last vacation or the time you started... Ask Human resources or your boss :) good luck|||Check your employee manual if you have one, but employers generally pay you for accrued vacation if you leave without taking it. Sometimes they just show you on the payroll for that much time after you leave, like you were taking the vacation at the end.|||That's up to company policy. Some will pay you for accrued vacation time and some will not -- I've gone both ways in my working life.





There is no legal requirement for them to pay you for accrued vacation when you quit, or are terminated. You'll have to ask.|||It is based on company policy alone. There are no laws to cover vacation, as by law, no company has to even offer paid vacation. And whether it is a terminal benefit is up to the company also.





BUT the only law is, that your company has to treat you the same as they treat any other employee in a comparable situation. Such as length of time worked, whether notice was given and worked through, things like that.





Consult with HR and ask very specific and businesslike questions.|||In Massachusetts there is a law that says accrued vacation time is earned time and must be paid upon termination of the employee. I think this only applies to being fired or laid off, not quiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment