Thursday, November 24, 2011

If I resign a job with enough vacation to last until next year, can I get paid for vacation next year also?

I have about 3 weeks of vacation time left at my current job. I am planning to resign such that December 12, 2008 is my last day, and take vacation until the end of the year. Obviously I will get paid until December 31, 2008. But since I have some leftover days, could I technically be considered an employee on January 1, 2009, at which point I could take my 3 weeks of vacation time for 2009, and get paid for those extra 3 weeks?





I assume it depends on the company and I will have to ask payroll, but is it typical to allow that?|||I have a feeling you are not technically an employee on Jan 1st 09, therefore you should not be entitled to additional vacation. I believe, even if you resign later, you would be entitled to a percentage of the 09 vacation, depending on how many days you have worked in 2009. It doesn't make logical sense otherwise.|||Nope, it won't work. You are no longer considered an employee as of your last day of work The leftover days won't count as additional days of employment towards any benefits or vacation accruals.|||It would be very unusual for them to give you vacation for next year also|||at my current and previous jobs; no.

No comments:

Post a Comment