Saturday, November 19, 2011

If I quit my job will I be paid vacation and sick time?

I'm planning on resigning from my job to attend a full time school. I have accrued 3 weeks of vacation and 3 weeks of sick time. I live in CA. I'm pretty sure my employer will pay the vacation time on my last check but what about the sick time? I'm thinking of "being sick" for a couple weeks and then resigning if they won't pay it.|||All of the companies I have worked for/managed did not give you sick days if you quit..


You are entitled to "use" your sick days if you are sick but to feign sick to use them and then resign is unprofessional and immature.





You should leave on good terms with the company, you may need a reference or end up working with your supervisor in the future.|||forget sick time -- just be happy you had it as insurance


when you were working. As far as I know, you'll get the


vacation time.








(don't pull the "being sick" routine, your employer and


your fellow employees won't be amused -- could very


well come back and bite your butt the next time you find


a job)|||Employers do not normally cash out sick time.|||Most places have the attitude that if you don't use it you lose it. Better find out fron your HR dept. If they don't, just take a little vacation for yourself before quitting.|||Better be more than pretty sure that you will be receieving vacation pay at your severence. Taking sick and vacation time before your last day is a grand idea, but only if you don't care about a reference.

No comments:

Post a Comment