Friday, December 2, 2011

Will get paid my accrued vacation and sick time left?

I work for the city/local government in virginia and I got offered a job with the federal government. I gave my boss the two weeks notice required . Along with my last paycheck i receive on Dec 15 for working Nov 22 to Dec 6. Will I get paid for my vacation and sick time I have left in the books also? I was told that government does but want to confirm.|||Which County/City/Jurisdiction do you work for?





There is no law stating that you will get your sick and/or vacation time back.





However, most localities in Virginia follow the same HR policies for full time employees. A rule of thumb is that you will get no vacation/sick time when you leave until you are vested. This generally takes about 5 years. (You will generally also keep your retirement at 5 years, but it won't be worth much.) You will not get 100% of the time back but a percentage of it. You will never receive 100% of sick time due to the fact that sick leave "time" can be unlimited (but you can still be terminated under FMLA if you have remaining sick time) but vacation accrual can be capped. The longer you work at a position the more you will get back. Generally, the time tables are set at 5 year increments: 5 years, 10 years, 15 years. Most jurisdictions max out at 15 years.





Talk to your Human Resource representative for more information, not your supervisor. Also, look up your employee handbook/policy %26amp; procedures/et al. that you should have received when you got hired.





I hope that this helps.





Good luck!|||You will probably get paid for your vacation time. Whether or not you get paid for sick time is determined by either your union contract or the policies of the governmental body that employs you.|||why would they pay you extra for time you havent taken off? that really doesnt make any sense to me.. if you have no used the time, you shouldnt get paid for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment