Tuesday, December 6, 2011

When quitting job is it fair to ask to be paid for remaining vacation time?

I'm leaving my job shortly, I gave about a month's notice to the company, but I was wondering if it is fair/common to get paid for the remaining vacation time? I hadn't really thought of it, but a co-worker of me told me I should. I get about 12 days vacation per yr and I have only used a couple of those days. The company has a "use it or lose it" pollicy as far as vacation goes at the end of the yr, if you don't use it you don't get paid for it, but would it be different in this case? Theoretically I guess I could have said my last day was a week later then it actually was, and then just said that would be my vacation week, but I wasn't sure if that would be right. But now this is my last week, so I think it might be too late to say anything|||Not only is it fair, it's the law.|||Wouldnt hurt to ask! Your leaving anyways!


%26amp; if they say no..just laugh it off!|||It is fair, and most companies will give it to you with no problems. But it does depend on their policy.





You could take your 12 days, then on the last day of vacation give your two weeks notice, and that way you are sure to have all your money.|||They have to pay you for any vacation you have earned but not taken.|||They must pay you for vacation days that you have accrued/earned. This should be in your employee handbook.|||I'm pretty sure that it's actually the policy at my job. When you leave (at least on good terms) they go ahead and pay you for all of your unused personal and vacation time.|||You should be able to get paid for your vacation time, most employers just pay you for accrued vacation time, I would go check with your human resource manager to make sure you will get paid for the vacation time you have earned.|||The company is right. So take a vacation.





Peace and blessings!|||Depends. My vacation time is separated between paid time off (paid out upon leaving) and personal holidays (not paid out upon leaving)





Since holidays are granted on jan. 1, it would be silly for the company to pay them out if you quit or were fired, but you DO get them if you are layed off at no fault of your own. Everyone who wanted to quit would wait until jan. 7 and quit with an extra double-paycheck.





Even still, the hours of paid time off one earns each week are paid out if you quit or are fired.|||It sounds like you probably earn 1 vacation day a month. So that means, so far this year you have earned/accrued 7 days (not counting August). So you should only get paid for any of the 7 days not yet used.|||Depends on what state you work in.





Virginia, for example, does not require companies to payout employees' unused vacation leave upon termination or resignation.|||Yes, you such ask the employer to paid your vacation time. This is what you earned. No matter what you such ask. Nothing to lose to ask. right.|||Go to your HR department and ask them. That is why HR is there. At the same time, ask about COBRA and any funds you may have in the 401(k) plan.





You could also ask if you can see your personnel file just to make sure there are not any surprises in it. If there are particularly good performance reviews, ask for a copy of them for your records (they may say no, but it won't hurt to ask)





They may also want to do an exit interview. This is your opportunity to tell them what you think about your job, your boss, benefits, etc. The HR Department is really interested in honest answers so that they can try to make the employment experience better at your company. If you had a difficult boss, HR would like to know why you feel that way. They may have had other complaints and need your feedback to correct the problem.





It sounds like you are leaving your company on good terms. Even if you boss seems to be angry with you, the company as a whole is not. This is just routine in the HR Department.

No comments:

Post a Comment